Capture the Dream, Inc.’s core focus is in the areas of education and career mentorship. Our organization provides support to youth and young adults in their academic studies and career aspirations by awarding scholarships, donating school supplies, facilitating education and career mentorship, and supplying incentives to further education and career development. Please view our following programs to see how you can get involved!
- DreamcatcherCapture the Dream, Inc.’s signature program, Dreamcatcher, combines mentoring and micro-funding opportunities for low-income K-12 and community college students from underprivileged Bay Area communities to help them realize their scholastic and career dreams. The heart of the program is building a partnership between the student and a carefully matched mentor. Together they set short-term and yearly goals that become milestones on a journey to achieving their dreams. We sponsor relevant gifts such as academic supplies, sports equipment, and access to activities and resources that reward the student for their successes along the way.
- DreamPackWith nearly 25% of East Bay residents suffering economic hardship, many parents cannot afford to purchase basic school supplies. Capture the Dream, Inc. attempts to remedy the problem by providing needy students with brand new backpacks filled with 30 items that are customized for each student’s grade level and needs. The DreamPack Campaign has provided over $17,725 in school supplies, distributing over 855 backpacks since the program launched in 2007.
- Scholarship FundEach year we provide two scholarship opportunities to college students based on merit and need. The two scholarships include the George Geng On Lee Minorities in Leadership Scholarship for minority students, and the Single Parent Scholarship for single parent students. Requirements for both scholarships include income qualifications, residency in California, and that the student will be a full time undergraduate student enrolled at a two- or four-year institution in the applicable academic year. Applicants are evaluated based on academic achievement and financial need. Additional consideration is given to applicants who demonstrate involvement in extracurricular activities, show strong leadership experience, and are active in their communities.
- Educational Field TripsCapture the Dream, Inc. alleviates the gap created by government budget cuts to programs that cultivate learning, such as field trips, by providing monthly educational trips to low income students free of charge. Trips to museums, art galleries, sporting and cultural events give students opportunities to expand learning through interactive activities. The Educational Field Trip program has been operating since 2006 and has provided more than 40 field trips to over 1,500 students.
- Adopt A FamilyEach year, Capture the Dream, Inc. partners with local schools and other non-profit organizations to match families in need with generous donors who “adopt” families and purchase gifts based on their holiday wish lists. Over the last 6 years, Capture the Dream, Inc. and donors supplied more than $150,000 of gifts, serving over 1,000 bay area residents. Past gifts have ranged from clothing, hygiene products, small appliances, linens, and even brand new beds!